This is Sacred Heart Chapel. It is on Mobile Bay in the Battles Wharf area of Point Clear. Mass is said at this chapel from memorial day until labor day. As you can see there is no air conditioning, the windows are all open. After Mass the children are welcome to ring the big bell out front. It is a really charming place where time has stood still, sort of. There are buildings on the property that when I was a child were used as a summer camp. The building where I learned to make a wallet out of leather is still there. So is the place where I learned to shoot a gun and shoot an arrow. The "barracks" are long gone, that part of the property was sold. As is the stable where they kept the horses.
The property has also been used for the summer home of St. Mary's home for girls. There has also been some children of migrant worker activities. There is a swingset that must be 50 yrs old.
Anyway, it is a very peaceful place to attend mass and walk along the bay. Someday I will post some pictures of the inside. It is very popular for weddings.
1 comment:
I've always admired this church whenever we drove past. Now I know the scoop behind it!
Post a Comment